Few months back I joined the Blackberry train and bought a 8520 for myself. I found the phone quite handy and feature loaded even without subscribing to blackberry plan. The handset works smoothly using the standard mobile internet (GPRS) connection except for the push mail.
Following application are seamless on blackberry 8520 on GPRS , practically every application which is NOT made for blackberry only 🙂
– Google Maps
– Google Search
Fantastic phone !!!
I am now subscribed to the Basic Blackberry plan with Idea (email only plan). The only difference is the push mail of enterprise mail (NOT enterprise solutions plan)
Only one issue I faced is regarding the up-gradation of firmware. I got the handset with firmware v.220.127.116.114 (You can check the version Main Menu > Options > About) pre-installed on it. There is an option to check for any updates being released for the handset (Main Menu > Options > Advanced Options > software update). It showed that the firmware is updated ; whereas all the new blackberry boys and girls ion my office got v5.0 installed on the handset.
Solution : A quick search on internet leads to few links.
Blackberry official site with details of the most recent firmware version releases for the handsets (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do)
BlackBerry Handheld Software v18.104.22.1688 (EastAsia)
Package Version: 22.214.171.1248
- Applications: 126.96.36.1991
- Software Platform: 188.8.131.52
- File name: 8520wifijEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1168_PL184.108.40.206_A220.127.116.111_Singapore_Telecom_Mobile_Pte_Ltd.exe
- File size: 116.41MB
Some more search and the steps for installation were posted all over the net
1. Download the file to PC (with blackberry desktop manager) and install the same.
2. Deleted the VENDOR.XML file located at: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\VENDOR.XML
3. Disconnect PC from the internet
4. Connect the handset to PC and run the Blackberry desktop manager
5. Voila! 20 -25 mins and the firmware upgraded to v 18.104.22.1681
6. Enjoy !!!
Only thing missing on screen is the lock screen button in menu. The phone can be locked by a long press of ‘A’ key or the pause button on the top of phone.
I am loving the new interface.